Jump to content

Featured Replies

  • Author

The Japanese physical version of the album is going to have two bonus tracks. They are "Reaching for a Star" (track #13 from Day) and "Yes" (track #13 from Night).

  • Replies 65
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Juan Carlos
    Juan Carlos

    Officially announced. Day and Night out September 18. "On Wires" available this Friday. And it's a double album.

  • Juan Carlos
    Juan Carlos

    This is a Carly Rae emergency in all levels and I haven't digested the album yet.

  • Mangø
    Mangø

    New Carly is always exciting, even if I haven't cared that much for her last couple of eras!

Posted Images

  • Author

I need Carly Rae to write an original song for Heated Rivalry. She also revealed that she named her son Ilya. You could read the interview to The Hollywood Reporter in the link of the tweet below or here.

cheeseblock

People are lining up to work with Jepsen. Fellow Canadian treasure Jacob Tierney shared that he’d been eager to get Jepsen to write an original song for the first season of his hit hockey romance series Heated Rivalry, but it wasn’t in the budget. Jepsen hasn’t heard from him yet about the second season but admits that writing a song for it would be a “dream” for her.

“It was an incredible show. Ilya is the name of my son. Maybe, not maybe because of that show,” she says, referring to the character played by Connor Storrie.

  • 2 weeks later...

Carly is one of the few 'pure pop' (? Is that reductive?) artists who I'm consistently interested in new albums from, as there's something about her songwriting and sound that is just... really good 😄 So I always check out her albums, even if most of my music listening is taken up by other artists. (There are just too many things to listen to, the challenge is real!)

She's been so prolific too with each era (after Kiss at least), what with all these 'side B' releases and companion albums! Definitely a very creative person.

So far I've only listened to side 1 (Day) and yep, it's really good and refreshing. 'Blue Skies' and 'Good Fine Alright' are so good omg. 'Blue Skies' almost sounds like an Air song!

Will get to the Night side soon.

Okay I'm definitely not mad at side 2 either, had a little dance x

'Near Or Far' was the highest high on side 2 upon first listen

Honestly, I'm a massive fan of carly and always have been but I feel the majority of both sides is filler unfortunately. I didn't find anything single worthy apart from the already released single and even then Versailles didn't strike me as such. That's not too say it's bad, because it's far from it but would I call this an interesting Carly album? Probably not.

Edited by JSG

Not a fan of Day. She defo chose the best for the two singles there but I felt the rest of the tracks just blended together and gave nothing but boredom.

Night was much better then Day but still had that problem of most tracks just blending in together.

As a whole, it feels a bit bloated and far too much filler (not "bad" songs by any means just too many songs that would be defined as "filler" for an album). However, I think there's an excellent album here across the 2 sides. However, there are some songs on the Day side where her vocals are really grating.

Here are my favourites ('Blue Skies' & 'Amalfi Coast' are the ones I suspect will grow most on me):

  • Versailles

  • On Wires

  • Burning Heart > This is the "hit" of 'Day'. SO good! <

  • Wild Child > This is gorgeous. <

  • Good Fine Alright

  • Something Tragic > Up there with 'Burning Heart' as THE highlight of 'Day'. <

  • Never Let A Good Thing Die

  • Don't Leave Me On The Dancefloor > My absolute favourite. Incredible. <

  • Motivation

  • Diver

  • Hold Me to the Light > Gorgeousssss <

  • That's Just Me

  • No Labels, I Love You

  • Super Sage > This is an odd one. It's "nice" but not really "save to playlist worthy" for me... until that final minute which is the absolute moment of the entire album! It's incredible! <

If it was just these 13 tracks, I'd be all over it! But as a full, complete body of work, it feels quite fillery/bloated and not really one I'll go back to as a complete unit.

23 minutes ago, Tafty said:
  • Super Sage > This is an odd one. It's "nice" but not really "save to playlist worthy" for me... until that final minute which is the absolute moment of the entire album! It's incredible! <

'Super Sage' was very nice but I was actually hoping that for the final minute or so it would escalate into a complete dance party, with really heavy beats etc. Haha. It sounded like it was building up to that but it never did, still was a nice closer though!

We really do not need more. I've given the album a good listen now and I pretty much only like the singles sad

I have to say, for an album of its size, the quality control of this is fantastic. I would agree that there aren’t a ton of stand outs but it’s sonically cohesive without sounding too boring and samey and her vision throughout is super clear so I think she achieved what she set out to make with precision.

It is missing a few more big hitters than you would like, and you probably could make a better 13/14 song album out of it but I do feel like she’s veered away from the pure pop stuff now and that’s just an artistic decision she’s made as she’s matured and I have to respect rather than challenge. Agreeing with Jonjo that Burning Heart is the stand out of the album tracks and I definitely think it should’ve been a pre-album single. Near Or Far’s production kinda gagged me too, there’s definitely some surprising choices for Carly in here and I like where she’s experimented.

I think it’s a fully realised project and I take my hat off to that more than I do as an album I’m going to return to in its entirety all that often but there’s equally nothing bad here.

It's interesting because I do find it bloated - I think she should have done 6 songs from each side and then done the further 6 as a Side B

I find the album is OK but a bit boring/bloated

Of all the tracks I've only put 5 in my 2026 playlist:

"Burning Heart" (Only Day song)

"Never Let A Good Thing Die"

"Patience Power Passion"

"Don't Leave Me on the Dancefloor"

"Motivation"

Some songs may grow on me still though.

I haven't been excited about this era in all honesty, but it's actually a pretty nice album in full!

Lacking anything "killer" perhaps, but an enjoyable listen all the same.

Anyway, debuts at #86 today. Way worse than I would've ever imagined. sad

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.