Jump to content

Featured Replies

Posted

quizzy.png

The Way You See It.png

The same collage on Google Drive: LINK

20 PROMPTS:

Freedom
Magic
Beauty
Anxiety
Dream
Hunger
Lust
Control
Vulnerability
Sin
Destiny
Buzzjack
Star
Witch
The Past
Art
Money
Scandal
Danger
Absurdity

In front of you are 40 album covers. Your task is to choose exactly 5 covers for each of the 20 prompts.

This isn't necessarily about how well you know the albums or artists themselves (although that might come in handy for some of you), It's about the associations you make with the images.

Maybe it's the colours, the imagery, the atmosphere, something you know about the album, or simply the way a particular cover feels to you. There are no right or wrong answers, and the reason behind your choices is entirely up to you.

You only score points when someone else makes the same association as you. However, the most obvious choice isn't necessarily the most rewarding one! The more players who choose the same cover as you, the fewer points you'll receive for it. Check the scoring system below to see how it works!

5 points | chosen by less than 35% of players

3 points | chosen by 35% to less than 50% of players

2 points | chosen by 50% to less than 75% of players

1 point | chosen by 75% or more of players

0 points | chosen by no other player

So you'll need to think a little tactically and logically, try to put yourself in other players' shoes, and take a few risks along the way.

I hope you’ll enjoy it!

You will send me the 5 images you choose for each prompt via DM. The images are numbered, so for example, for the Freedom prompt, you can send me:

Fredom: images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

etc.

DEADLINE: Wednesday, 7 October at 00:00

  • Replies 22
  • Views 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Have sent some answers. Tbh I had no idea what to put for most of them, it was all very random!

  • @Spiceboy's Album Covers quiz is now open in the Lounge, check it out here!

  • wait this is a really fun concept! will try to work on it

Posted Images

wait this is a really fun concept! will try to work on it

  • Author

List of albums:

Row 1:
1. Hozier - Hozier
2. Debbie Harry - KooKoo
3. Zayn - Room Under the Stairs
4. Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
5. Shakatak - 45th Anniversary Collection
6. Enya - Watermark
7. Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
8. B*Witched - Awake and Breathe


Row 2:
9. This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears
10. Florence and the Machine - Lungs
11. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 
12. London Grammar - Californian Soil 
13. Beck - Ride Lonesome
14. Roxy Music - Siren
15. Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott -  Wisdom, Laughter and Lines
16. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Row 3:
17. Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
18. Take That - Progress Live 
19. Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
20. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
21. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
22. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
23. Drake - Take Care
24. Bette Midler – The Best Bette


Row 4:
25. Mike Oldfield - The Songs of Distant Earth
26. The Cure - Bloodflowers
27. Paloma Faith - Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? 
28. Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
29. Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree
30. Snow Patrol – The Forest Is The Path
31. Alisha's Attic - Alisha Rules The World
32. Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess


Row 5:
33. Aerosmith - Get A Grip
34. Scissor Sisters -  Ta-Dah
35. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason 
36. Led Zeppelin - Presence
37. The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
38. Loreena McKennitt - The Visit
39. Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
40. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

I'm not sure I quite understand the scoring system.

This part makes sense:

5 points | chosen by less than 35% of players

3 points | chosen by 35% to less than 50% of players

2 points | chosen by 50% to less than 75% of players

1 point | chosen by 75% or more of players

So the more players that choose the same cover as you, the less points you get. But then this seems to contradict that logic:

0 points | chosen by no other player

Surely if no other player chooses it, then continuing that some logic, that should give you maximum points?

Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

  • Author
11 minutes ago, Mangø said:

I'm not sure I quite understand the scoring system.

This part makes sense:

5 points | chosen by less than 35% of players

3 points | chosen by 35% to less than 50% of players

2 points | chosen by 50% to less than 75% of players

1 point | chosen by 75% or more of players

So the more players that choose the same cover as you, the less points you get. But then this seems to contradict that logic:

0 points | chosen by no other player

Surely if no other player chooses it, then continuing that some logic, that should give you maximum points?

Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

When I came up with this scoring system, I was thinking along the same lines as how Riser scored Blank State. If I remember correctly, he gave 3 points if only two people had the same word as their association, and 1 point if more than two people had the same word.

I can’t really do it exactly like that here because these quizzes usually have around 20 people signing up, so it’s unlikely that only two people will choose the same image. But if it happens, great. Basically, depending on the number of people who sign up, I’ll divide the number into percentages and calculate what percentage of people chose the same image, or convert those percentages into the corresponding number of people (although I can only do that once the final number of participants is known).

So it’s essentially the same principle as Riser used for Blank State. If the “less than 35% of people” part is confusing you, of course it doesn’t mean 0 - it means more than 0 but less than 35%.

The only difference is that with Riser’s system, if only one other person chose the same word as you, you got the maximum points. Here, I’m not making it a requirement that only one other person can choose the same image as you. Depending on the number of participants, it could be 2 or even 3 people and still fall into the simillar scoring bracket.

Also, for each prompt you have to choose 5 images, so you don’t have to take risks with all 5 of them. You can also pick some that you think other people are almost certainly going to choose for the safe points.

11 minutes ago, Mangø said:

I'm not sure I quite understand the scoring system.

This part makes sense:

5 points | chosen by less than 35% of players

3 points | chosen by 35% to less than 50% of players

2 points | chosen by 50% to less than 75% of players

1 point | chosen by 75% or more of players

So the more players that choose the same cover as you, the less points you get. But then this seems to contradict that logic:

0 points | chosen by no other player

Surely if no other player chooses it, then continuing that some logic, that should give you maximum points?

Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

I think it’s that the fun is in taking a risk vs playing it safe because if you go too left field you’ll score nothing but if you play it safe you might only score 1.

I’ve done a Family Fortunes quiz like this before where you get:

Top answer: 1 point

2nd top answer: 2 points

3rd top answer: 3 points

4th top answer: 4 points

Answer that isn’t in the top 4: 0 points

So there’s an extra layer of jeopardy in wanting to be not too obvious and also not too obscure.

Just now, Julian_ said:

I think it’s that the fun is in taking a risk vs playing it safe because if you go too left field you’ll score nothing but if you play it safe you might only score 1.

I’ve done a Family Fortunes quiz like this before where you get:

Top answer: 1 point

2nd top answer: 2 points

3rd top answer: 3 points

4th top answer: 4 points

Answer that isn’t in the top 4: 0 points

So there’s an extra layer of jeopardy in wanting to be not too obvious and also not too obscure.

Ah OK yeah that definitely makes sense!

I think I follow the logic: that we're looking for niche references that relate these prompts to the albums/covers, that aren't so obvious that everyone would guess them, but some people will.

I'm slightly concerned that with 20+ people taking part, if everyone chose 5 album covers at random with each prompt, there'll be a high chance that at least one other person has chosen the same one (at random) and therefore score maximum points. Maybe it could be if 20-35% of people choose it, it scores 5 points, and less than 20% scores zero (or the points start to stagger downwards from there)?

  • Author

Basically, you understood it. The percentages can still change, and I’ll convert them into actual numbers of people once I know the exact number of participants. It was difficult to determine the exact numbers off the top of my head, so I used percentages for now.

Ultimately, it’s up to you how you want to play it whether you choose 3 safe options and 2 risky ones, all 5 risky ones, or maybe all 5 that you think are safe but turn out not to be safe choices for others. We don’t know how everyone else will think, so that’s part of the game.

But you do need at least one other person to choose the same image as you in order to score points. Fewer the better.

Oh wow, this is a really cool idea! It feels like a new twist on the types of games we have in here, will be interesting to see how people choose to play it

  • Author

And the host can play too! But I’d have to do it now, before the first responses come in.

Really interesting concept, nice to see something a bit different after four 'guess the X from the clues' rounds! Hopefully this will shake the leaderboard up a bit.

Have sent some answers. Tbh I had no idea what to put for most of them, it was all very random!

Just sent some answers - really interested in how this will go!

Sent in my answers - not sure how I'll do given some of them were pretty random but it was definitely an interesting quiz!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.