Jump to content

Featured Replies

I just find it funny how some record stores are boycotting Adele’s 30 for printing 500k, but are silent on certain artists and bands printing countless vinyl variations of the same album. ABBA has already sold over 30,000 vinyls this week alone in the U.K., so god knows how many they’ve sold worldwide. So I don’t get why some record stores are trying to make Adele the boogeyman here. It’s not like she’s doing loads of different vinyl variations of the same album to the extent others are doing. She’s merely making sure there’s enough supply by estimating potential demand.

 

I’m not saying she’s totally in the right, but I don’t agree with making her the boogeyman at all.

 

 

  • Replies 325
  • Views 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Taylor did 16 different vinyls for Folklore

It was technically 9 - in the US she had 8 different artworks with 8 different colour vinyl, then one of those covers also had a Target Red version. There were also European pressings of the same 8 artworks/colours. But for one single market, the maximum was 9 in the US!

It was technically 9 - in the US she had 8 different artworks with 8 different colour vinyl, then one of those covers also had a Target Red version. There were also European pressings of the same 8 artworks/colours. But for one single market, the maximum was 9 in the US!

It’s absolutely absurd to me how there isn’t more outrage about something like this as opposed to Adele for instance.

It’s absolutely absurd to me how there isn’t more outrage about something like this as opposed to Adele for instance.

There's definitely been some grumblings on social media/music forums about vinyl delay times, and also regarding certain releases having a large number of variants (the latter point is often raised in the context of fans being tired of having so many variants to choose between, and finding them somewhat unnecessary). Overall, I imagine it's not enough noise to cause something to change, because the labels definitely want to milk the vinyl craze for all its worth and they must see different art/colours as the most effective way to get high sales.

 

In fairness to Taylor, it took quite a few months for her copies to be pressed (summer 2020 is when the pre-order went live, but they were not dispatched until November 2020) so it seems she didn't jump the queue and she had to wait her turn.

 

I'm not sure if it's the different number of artworks or colour pressings that's the main reason for slowing things down in the pressing plants. In regards to Adele it seems she's under fire because the amount of copies being produced (even though there's only three variants, I think?) is so large that she booked out a lot of pressing plants and slowed down other album pressings. Personally I don't hold that against her, because clearly the demand is there and she'll sell the vast majority of those copies. Also there's definitely other artists contributing to it, certainly ABBA.

 

I've heard that some other issues with vinyl production includes: a low number of pressing plants (certainly too low to keep up with demand) and a shortage of raw materials (pulp for the sleeves / certain colours). Covid troubles last year also seemed to majorly contribute in slowing things down, creating a backlog that can't be caught up on. Apparently some artists have to wait up to 9 months to get a vinyl pressed! :o

Also some colour variants are difficult to find cos they are very limited, like only 500 copies

 

All indie artists are doing this and a limited new version disappears in a matter of seconds

 

for instance, I know there's this indie female singer-songwriter called Julien Baker

who is like zero zero famous and from her debut album there have been 24 different colour variants alreaady!

 

https://www.discogs.com/master/914052-Julie...-Sprained-Ankle

 

and same for Phoebe Bridgers there have been 11 different colour variants since release

and there's like oh now this week we are releasing an Opaque Gold Nugget (Urban Outfitters Exclusive) only 500 and sells out in 5 minutes

 

 

This is very well put. The album is ok, but that’s as far as it goes and I’m a huge ABBA fan.

 

I agree. I felt quite let down to be honest after having such high expectations after Don't Shut Me Down and I Still Have Faith In You.

According to a Facebook poster who claims to be in the know, on the UK Chart page, Voyage has passed 200k UK sales in the last few hours.

I like ABBA's album. I was expecting it to be mostly cobbled together reworked scraps from the cutting room floor (like 'Just a Notion' was) so was surprised to find it's quite a solid, enjoyable album with some classic ABBA moments on it.

 

I mean, not their best by any means but lots to enjoy. The only one I don't at least vaguely is 'Bumblebee' and perhaps the Christmas carol.

Edited by Tawdry Hepburn

Anyone knows if Westlife’s My Hero is anywhere close to top 100?
Imagine the sales for the ABBA album, if it was actually good! I agree Don’t Shut Me Down / I Still Have Faith In You was the best the album had to offer.
Imagine the sales for the ABBA album, if it was actually good! I agree Don’t Shut Me Down / I Still Have Faith In You was the best the album had to offer.

Future classic 'Keep An Eye On Dan' begs to differ B-)

Off topic but I absolutely love the album. It’s true that if you’re after more rousing pop like Don’t Shut Me Down you will likely be disappointed. It’s much more of a subtle, introspective work that needs quite a lot of listens I think.

 

Anyway, given they’ve probably passed 200k I’ve said everyone should now leave their purchases until tomorrow when they’re more needed! :P

'Drive' becoming such a belated top 20 hit for Clean Bandit is strange to see, especially given it hasn't had that much support.
'Drive' becoming such a belated top 20 hit for Clean Bandit is strange to see, especially given it hasn't had that much support.

 

Pleased that it’s managed to take off organically without massive support behind it - such a great track.

It's just the opposite, in the beginning it wasn't supported much by Spotify and it was low top 40

then suddenly they moved it into the top 10 on HH a couple weeks ago and thats why its a bigger hit now

the opposite of organic, totally playlist-induced, and with heavy support now

Plus the Drill Remix was released last Friday which has gave it that final push to go top 20 (although the drill remix is nowhere to be seen in the Spotify and Apple Music top 200)
Connan Mockasin's album Jassbusters Two, was released last Friday. Toying with getting it. His Forever Dolphin Love album is I think a masterpiece.
It's just the opposite, in the beginning it wasn't supported much by Spotify and it was low top 40

then suddenly they moved it into the top 10 on HH a couple weeks ago and thats why its a bigger hit now

the opposite of organic, totally playlist-induced, and with heavy support now

 

As is the case with 99% of hits in 2021!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.