Jump to content

Featured Replies

  • Replies 216
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crazy that Flo are on 7K while Shawn Mendes is just on 3K. The era was impossible to save no matter how long they postponed but 3K is really low

His last album missed the top 10 though so at least this is on course to debut higher, despite the low sales

Edited by Mangø

To be fair, in the case of Nelly F her previous album didn't make the top 200 either and her last charting album was in 2012 (at #46)

 

It is frustrating though that big female popstars can find it harder to hold onto a fanbase. Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige, Gwen Stefani, JLo, Mariah Carey, all household names but none of them can get a top 40 album, or even top 100 in some cases, these days.

It is frustrating though that big female popstars can find it harder to hold onto a fanbase. Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige, Gwen Stefani, JLo, Mariah Carey, all household names but none of them can get a top 40 album, or even top 100 in some cases, these days.

 

Yeah because it’s not 2001 anymore

^ But the Cure come back after their first album since the early 2000s and sell 50K and get a #1

so it's only for some

^ But the Cure come back after their first album since the early 2000s and sell 50K and get a #1

so it's only for some

 

Exactly. Not just The Cure but the amount of random artists and bands (a lot that I haven’t even heard of before) that can get a top 10 album these days is insane. It just surprises me that a lot of artists I like and that everybody knows can’t even get top 100.

Rock/indie acts in general do tend to hold onto a fanbase longer - look at Shed Seven getting two #1 albums this year.

The catalogue streams for The Cure are way higher compared to the artists mentioned. So obviously there is bigger interest for new music as well.

 

The Cure: 10 songs with over 100k streams daily on Spotify

Mariah: 8 songs (non-Christmas)

Nelly F: 7

Gwen: 6

Mary J.: 2

J. Lo: 4

 

Obviously Mariah is bigger chart NAME than The Cure, but not so much beyond Christmas season I'd say.

I think as well rock / indie artists have always been more album sellers and touring acts than single sellers anyway. The likes of those female acts relied on singles to boost their album sales and sadly with streaming, they just don't get the same widespread recognition of their new material which then impacts their album sales. It helps for some acts who have been able to retain their loyal physical fanbase, even if it is quite small, it can then give them a first week boost.

 

There are exceptions too obviously, look at Kylie, and I am sure Madonna will sell 20+k of her next album in the first week.

but it's crazy that Shed Seven have 200,000 monthly listeners on Spotify and can grab two #1 albums in 2024

while Gwen Stefani who has 20 million monthly listeners (and thats her solo material not counting No Doubt)

cannot even manage 1,000 sales.

where are those listeners? are they so passive?

I think as well rock / indie artists have always been more album sellers and touring acts than single sellers anyway. The likes of those female acts relied on singles to boost their album sales and sadly with streaming, they just don't get the same widespread recognition of their new material which then impacts their album sales. It helps for some acts who have been able to retain their loyal physical fanbase, even if it is quite small, it can then give them a first week boost.

 

There are exceptions too obviously, look at Kylie, and I am sure Madonna will sell 20+k of her next album in the first week.

 

In theory I can understand that but then you have random pop artists from that era like Steps, Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne who are still able to get really good first week sales. It’s just hard to understand why some from that era can still shift albums but others just can’t

But then Louise always sells about 5k of every album she releases, so it seems almost random the female pop artists that retain a sizeable purchasing fanbase and those that don't.

 

It's a shame particularly for Nelly Furtado as that is a great album. Had an album that strong followed Loose in late 2008/early 2009 it would have done really well. I think she lost momentum by waiting until 2012 for the next English language album after Loose.

Edited by gooddelta

In theory I can understand that but then you have random pop artists from that era like Steps, Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne who are still able to get really good first week sales. It’s just hard to understand why some from that era can still shift albums but others just can’t

 

Would say Avril is more rock so that explains her fan base. Meanwhile steps are probably in the same boat as Kylie

But then Louise always sells about 5k of every album she releases, so it seems almost random the female pop artists that retain a sizeable purchasing fanbase and those that don't.

 

It's a shame particularly for Nelly Furtado as that is a great album and had an album that strong followed Loose in late 2008/early 2009 it would have done really well. I think she lost momentum by waiting until 2012 for the next English language album after Loose.

 

Yeah this is what I mean really! Like if, for example, Billie Piper decided to release a new album I have genuinely no idea whether it’d go top 10 or top 200

Yeah this is what I mean really! Like if, for example, Billie Piper decided to release a new album I have genuinely no idea whether it’d go top 10 or top 200

She'd go Top 10 due to me buying every format multiple times and streaming it 24/7 :cheeseblock:

I wish Billie still did music she has a really good voice and I loved her songs day and night, somethink deep inside and walk of life :wub:
^ well we managed to turn the certifications thread into a Dannii Minogue thread for some reason for a solid page or so the other day despite her not having any certifications so...
sucks that in some cases you "leave it too long" and it's a bad thing cos everybody forgets about you ie Nelly Furtado

but then I'd say if the label can sell it as a big comeback like The Cure the other week, that's a positive thing to "leave it too long"

 

The Cure have had much better promo!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.