Jump to content

Featured Replies

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but quickly caught up and should be around for the rest of this, I see my song isn't unveiled yet (and won't be for a while if it's all order of receipt).

Christina is not a surprising early leader but does feel like quite a pop heavy contingent of voters so far (which makes me think Modest Mouse could be well placed here).

There are a few reveals so far that I had guessed correctly - although there's probably no prizes on offer for insightful predictions like Rollo sending Peter Gabriel or Chez sending the conspicuous former Terra Avium artist. I did think Charlotte Martin felt very Mattias-coded though which is maybe slightly less obvious! All three of those were good discoveries anyway (Cusco deserved a lot better with their BJSC entry x), also really enjoyed Dobbo and Jade's entries. There were a few dance/electronic acts in this who I knew mainly from BJSC and was surprised to discover they'd been around so long, Booka Shade definitely one of those!

  • Replies 164
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • gooddelta
    gooddelta

    Well done Scene, I did think this would win, it's just one of those classic ballads that it's crazy wasn't a hit! Nice for All Saints in second too, a great song, congrats Lukuzz! And also to Spicebo

  • King Rollo
    King Rollo

    One other thing to note, Kate Bush had 46 points from the first 13 votes but nothing from the last 19 votes so was stuck on 46 points for the rest of the voting period.

  • Jaz13music
    Jaz13music

    Excellent work @King Rollo, it was really engaging, thank you so much. I’m in awe of all you guys with your hosting in these contests. In the (very) unlikely event that I actually win one of these, I’

  • Author

Mango

New York singer Sophie B Hawkins (the B stands for Ballantine) released her first album in 1992 and had a big hit with one of its songs 'Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover'. Twelve years later she put out her fourth album, 'Wilderness', from which Soul Lover comes, on her own Trumpet Swan record label.

12 All Saints - This Is A War (always thought this was one of the highlights of the album)

10 Cher - Woman's World (not sure how I've never heard this before, it's a banger!)

08 David Byrne and Fatboy Slim featuring Florence Welch - Here Lies Love (gorgeous song, this and Cher were my two favourite discoveries)

07 Robyn - Ever Again (the best song on an otherwise disappointing album)

06 Within Temptation featuring Tarja - Paradise (What About Us?)

05 Ace Of Base - Unspeakable

04 Matchbox Twenty - Put Your Hands Up

03 Seal - Love's Divine

02 Tori Amos featuring Damien Rice - The Power of Orange Knickers

01 Axwell - Center Of The Universe

Commiserations:

Aqua - Playmate To Jesus

RuPaul - Glamazon

  • Author

gooddelta

Folktronica artist Beth Orton released her first album 'Superpinkymandy', produced by William Orbit', in 1993. I know her best as the singer on the Chemical Brothers' songs 'Where Do I Begin' and 'The State We're In'. Conceived was the first single taken from her 2006 album 'Comfort Of Strangers'.

12 Points: Sophie B Hawkins - Soul Lover

10 Points: David Byrne and Fatboy Slim featuring Florence Welch - Here Lies Love

8 Points: Christina Aguilera - You Lost Me

7 Points: Ace Of Base - Unspeakable

6 Points: Aqua - Playmate To Jesus

5 Points: Tori Amos featuring Damien Rice - The Power of Orange Knickers

4 Points: All Saints - This Is A War

3 Points: Peter Gabriel - Signal To Noise

2 Points: Neneh Cherry - Kong

1 Point: Axwell - Center Of The Universe

I thought Beth Orton might have been Herbs (but being Rich makes just as much sense).

  • Author

After 18 votes:

1. 62 Christina Aguilera - You Lost Me........Scene
2. 60 Cher - Woman's World
3. 59 Ace Of Base - Unspeakable
4. 59 Robyn - Ever Again........Viper*
5. 54 All Saints - This Is A War
6. 51 Modest Mouse - Little Motel
7. 48 Trance To The Sun - Sleeping With The Natives
8. 46 Kate Bush - Mrs. Bartolozzi
9. 39 Aqua - Playmate To Jesus
10. 39 Unkle - Hold My Hand
11. 34 Within Temptation featuring Tarja - Paradise (What About Us?)........AllStarBySmashMouth
12. 33 Charlotte Martin - 12 Years........matto
13. 33 Blink-182 - Ghost On The Dance Floor........Tafty
14. 33 Sophie B Hawkins - Soul Lover........Mango
15. 31 Legowelt - Elements Of Houz Music
16. 31 David Byrne and Fatboy Slim featuring Florence Welch - Here Lies Love........Jaz13music
17. 30 Placebo - For What It's Worth
18. 29 Matchbox Twenty - Put Your Hands Up........Paddington James
19. 29 Kaku P-Model - Shagan Daishi
20. 28 Cusco - Odysseus And The Sirens........Chez Wombat
21. 25 Peter Gabriel - Signal To Noise........King Rollo
22. 23 Axwell - Center Of The Universe........Doug           
23. 22 Booka Shade - In White Rooms........Dobbo
24. 22 Sweet Trip - Milk........Jade
25. 20 Bruce Springsteen - Land Of Hope And Dreams........jimwatts
26. 20 Neneh Cherry - Kong
27. 18 Seal - Love's Divine........vibe
28. 17 Tori Amos featuring Damien Rice - The Power of Orange Knickers
29. 15 Cosmic Gate and Jason Ross - Awaken
30. 15 RuPaul - Glamazon........Lee_J11
31. 14 Fangoria - Mas es mas........WoW73
32. 5 Beth Orton - Conceived........gooddelta

It's still very close with Cher now moving into 2nd place, just two points behind the much younger Christina. Ace Of Base and Robyn are only one point behind Cher while 21 points for All Saints move them up from 9th to 5th.

I suppose that top 5 was expected, but it's a bit unexciting, hope one of 6-10 has a chance of getting up there.

Hooray for more points x

  • Author

DaTilt

Legowelt is the Dutch musician Danny Wolfers. His first album, 'Space Force', was released in 1996. Elements Of Houz Music was part of his 2012 album 'The Paranormal Soul'.

Nice little contest. Thank you for organising. Here comes our votes:

votes.png


Close at the top - I think I'm rooting for Robyn out of the top 4, but hopefully a few songs lower down have a chance too.

I've now dropped below everyone I voted for, looks like I'll be aiming for the elusive 20th place...

...edit: thanks Till for ending the drought!

Bad day at the office for me then!

Glad my 12 pointer is in the mix though

Oops at me coming last, I always loved this song so much and its parent album. The video is so charming too.

Thank you Matto for the single vote!!

Legowelt also in the 'didn't know they'd been around so long' camp. Banger though, Till serving taste with the electronic entries once more x

  • Author

Spiceboy

Cher goes further back than anyone in this contest with her first single 'All I Really Want To Do' coming out in 1965, the same year she had a number 1 with Sonny, 'I Got You Babe'. Woman's World was the lead single from her 25th album 'Closer To The Truth' (2013).

Hi, I have attached my votes. ❤️

12 Christina Aguilera  – You lost me (It was going to be really difficult to top this it was my fave track off Bionic and what a treat to listen again as I haven’t heard it for a few years)

10 Aqua – Playmate to Jesus (I’m not generally an Aqua fan other than the iconic Barbie Girl of course – which I love to hate – but I really enjoyed this a lot!)

8 Sophie B Hawkin – Soul lover (I wasn’t keen on first listen but repeated listens it really grew on me, quite beautiful, lovely voice too)

7 David Bryne, Fatboy Slim & Florence Welch – Here lies love (really loved this, a new find!)

6 Ru Paul – Glamazon (I love a bit of Ru Paul, so trashy but fun, this had me smiling)

5 Ace Of Base – Unspeakable (Loved this, might need to check out more of them)

4 Matchbox Twenty – Put your hands up (Found myself bopping my head along to this)

3 Blink 182 – Ghost on the dancefloor (loved this quite Busted style I thought)

2 Beth Orton – Conceived (Really liked this, quite laid back but beautiful)

1 Cosmic Gate - Awaken (Actually really liked the music almost magical in a way, trancey)

image.png

Does @Spiceboy know any other artists kink

(I liked this song more than the one you sent to the other contest, that may or may not be surprising x)

  • Author

Lukuzz

All Saints first single was a cover of the Atlantic Starr song 'Silver Shadow' in 1994 when they were known as All Saints 1.9.7.5. This Is A War was the second single taken from their 2016 comeback album 'Red Flag'.


Votes -

12pts You Lost Me - Christina Aguilera

10pts For What It’s Worth - Placebo

8pts Within Temptation - Paradise (What About Us?)

7pts Glamazon - RuPaul

6pts Ghost On The Dancefloor - blink-182

5pts Woman’s World - Cher

4pts Put Your Hands Up - Matchbox Twenty

3pts Love’s Divine - Seal

2pts Unspeakable - Ace Of Base

1pt Playmate To Jesus - Aqua

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Bror said:

Does @Spiceboy know any other artists kink

(I liked this song more than the one you sent to the other contest x)

I know Dolly too! 😉 No, I just wanted to give Cher a bit of justice after she bombed last time!

2 minutes ago, Lee_J11 said:

Not the cheeky steps promo there 🤣

Omg that was a complete accident I cannot belive @King Rollo has posted it, just gone back to check the message and it is in there! 😄

This Christina love in session from the gays is just horrid now.

Please anyone but her 🤦‍♂️

Just catching up. Thanks to everyone who has voted for Here Lies Love, including those podium places from mango and gooddelta. So glad some of you felt it was a good discovery. It’s such a catchy song, it was criminally ignored when it was released imo!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.