Jump to content

Featured Replies

Boogie and How deep ,I would of thought would be higher but I guess both would of clocked a few says in the streaming era

  • Replies 355
  • Views 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • 44. SUNDAY GIRL- Blondie (671,900)   1979 13 weeks on chart Peak position: 1   The most famous song ever written about a cat going missing?  Well possibly.  Debbie Harry’s cat was called “Sunday Man

  • 47. TAKE A CHANCE ON ME- Abba (658,000)   1978 10 weeks on chart Peak position: 1   The song that gave a group a 7th chart topper and enabled them to be the most successful act of the decade by that

  • 23. HEART OF GLASS- Blondie (781,200)   1979 12 weeks on chart Peak position: 1     A song that dates back to the mid 70s when it was called “Once I Had A Love” and recorded as a demo with a basic u

Posted Images

  • Author

88. SON OF MY FATHER- Chicory Tip (541,800)

 

imageedit_1_4931063378.jpg

1972

13 weeks on chart

Peak position: 1

 

Co-written by Giorgio Moroder and released first in German by Michael Holm in 1971 but it did also get a UK release by the man himself which flopped in the UK.  It was picked up a year later by Chicory Tip via their studio manager and made the top spot, notable at the time as the first chart topper to feature the synthesizer, it had lyrics slightly altered from the Moroder original.

  • Author

87. SO YOU WIN AGAIN- Hot Chocolate (542,700)

 

imageedit_4_3204242120.jpg

1977

11 Weeks on chart

Peak position: 1

 

 

One of the most consistent acts of the 70s, they had 8 top 10 singles and charted in the top 20 in every year of the decade but this was their sole chart topper.  This was one of the few singles they released which wasn’t written by members Brown & Wilson.

  • Author

86. MOTHER OF MINE- Neil Reid (549,000)

 

imageedit_2_2713066453.jpg

1972

20 Weeks on chart

Peak position: 2

 

Those of you who believe that it wasn’t until “Popstars” that talent shows produced chart stars are in for a surprise- way back in the 70’s it was “Opportunity Knocks” that got a fair few acts onto this list including Reid.  At just 12 he won the show in late 1971 and released this track early the following year almost making No 1, he did better on the album charts hitting the top and making him the youngest act ever to score a UK No 1.  His follow up single missed the top 40 and just two years after his win on TV his voice broke and Reid gave up music ending up as a management consultant though the song did eventually see the top spot as a b-side to Little Jimmy Osmond’s “Long Haired Lover From Liverpool” later in the decade.

'Son Of My Father' is quite easily my favourite of that trio! An early glimmer of Moroder's brilliance and feels like a leap into the future as part of a #1s marathon, with that synth sound.

Errol Brown was my nan's other celebrity crush that I'm aware of so she'd approve of this countdown so far lol

Well... that Neil Reid song is not as bad as the also mentioned 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool', but still dross. Mary Hopkin is comfortably my favourite Opportunity Knocks alumnus that I'm aware of.

Son Of My Father sounded futuristic at the time, just ahead of Popcorn by a few months! A girl in my class bought it into the last music lesson of the year - we were allowed to bring one single in to play. I brought Nut Rocker in, not nearly as cool but I thought the classical base might amuse the teacher :) Hot Choc I adore, of course, and So You Win Again was number one went I went to my interview for Lincoln uni and the interviewer asked me what was number one to check how much I loved current pop music as per my application form "interests". I got in, yay. Russ Ballard wrote the song, of Argent and songs like God Gave Rock n Roll To Me.

Mother Of Mine was a pet hate. I loved my mum but not enough to force this on her, Johnny Cash was more of a chart fave at the time! Hearing it now, he does a good vocal job, though.

  • Author

85. ROCK YOUR BABY- George McCrae (549,200)

 

imageedit_3_3504660752.jpg

1974

14 Weeks on chart

Peak position: 1

 

A song which was one of the first to introduce the world to the drum machine and popularly labelled as the “first Disco number 1”.  This was written by two members of K.C & The Sunshine band and was intended for McCrae’s wife but when she couldn’t make the session they recorded it with McCrae instead and the magic was born.  It has been cited as the inspiration for both Lennon’s “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” and Abba’s “Dancing Queen”

  • Author

84. HOT LOVE- T.Rex (549,400)

imageedit_1_3898560979.jpg

 

1971

17 weeks on chart

Peak position: 1

 

One of the first stars of the 70s and of Glam Rock, Marc Bolan was the talisman for the group and was responsible for changing the psychedelic folk music they were making in the late 60s into a more pop friendly sound by the early 1970 and 11 consecutive top 10 singles followed (only one of those failed to make the top 5).  That included 4 chart toppers in just over a year and none of them bigger than this one which lasted 6 weeks at the top in early 1971.

  • Author

83. SANDY- John Travolta (550,100)

 

imageedit_2_8591806132.jpg

1978

15 weeks on chart

Peak position: 2

 

You’ll be hearing more from “Grease” later on but here’s one you might not have thought would have made it!  Performed by Travolta in the role of Danny Zuko, the track was composed for the film and was not in the original musical, it peaked at No 1 behind Travolta’s own “Summer Nights” but did outsell Newton-John’s own solo “Grease” outing “Hopelessly Devoted To You” which almost sold 400,000 itself.

Son of My Father early synthpop and yes a cover of a Giorgio Moroder song. Rock Your Baby by George McRae covered by KWS in the 90s.Prefer other Hot Chocolate songs and Errol's voice was unique.

Sandy is definitely one of the most underrated tracks from Grease glad it did well

Just lesrnt he also released a whole album of the back of it also called Sandy when checking certifications 😮

On 17/08/2026 at 20:24, dandy* said:

I find the Slade track incredibly annoying. I've mentioned my fear of the Pink Floyd track several times now so I won't do so again... and the Boney M track is decent enough, the production is undeniably catchy

Please explain, I'd like to know!?!?

Classics there from George and T.Rex - but thats a disappointment Get It On and Metal Guru didnt sell enough as well. Sandy doing well presumably Frankie Valli will also fall short with Grease along with olivia 🥺

Oh yay glad to see you are doing another one, this passed me by initially so here is my thoughts so far from the ones I like:

Chic La Freak is excellent, I wish I could have seen them supporting Duran Duran they have a few catchy tracks.

 

Pink Floyd, I’m not the biggest fan but I do love Another brick in the wall, such an excellent track.

 

I’m actually flabbergasted that Slade is this low!!!  Such a classic I thought that was a million seller back then for sure, was it released in 1979 or something?

 

Rasputin what an excellent pop track, I love a bit of Boney M they are very much the Steps of that era really (or vice versa) I expect to see a few of their tracks coming up.  Rivers of Babylon is one of my favourite tracks of all time, stunning.

 

Give a little love, my mother loved (still does) Bay City Rollers so their songs are memory invoking to me.  A nice enough track if not a little forgettable, a bit like the band too lol.

 

I love Yes sir I can boogie, it’s on all those 70s compilation albums and it’s such a sing along track, another one I recall being played A LOT growing up by my mother.

 

Bee Gees has some great tracks, How deep is your love is one of their best ones for me!  Love that it was your parent’s first dance @Jade , unusual choice.

 

I love that Hot Chocolate song too!  I’m realising I like a lot more 70s music without particularly being fans of the acts, than I realised lol.

 

Sandy outselling Hopelessly devoted is shocking to me (probably because I much prefer Hopelessly)!

I recently made a playlist including one song from every year between 1960 and 2026 that reminds me of summer and 'Rock Your Baby' was the 1974 representation! Lush song. KWS covered it as the follow-up to their #1 'Please Don't Go' but it unsurprisingly doesn't hold a candle to the original.

... however, 'Hot Love' is actually my favourite of this trio, love that bassy riff! I remember all of the T.Rex #1s standing out as refreshing when I worked through each chart-topper of the '70s back-to-back. Mark Bolan gone far too soon ☹️

I was aware that 'Sandy' did really well in the charts (I went through a big Grease fixation as a teen lol) but agree with others that 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' feels a lot more iconic from the big solo moments in the movie.

I'd say most people remember Hot Chocolate for You Sexy Thing which was a hit twice and featured in Full Monty, rather than their only No.1.

Hot Love is great and their biggest selling single in the UK by far.

Rock Your Baby is a classic too.

Edited by CRAZY CHRIS

T Rex and Marc Bolan , i wonder what they would have gone on to achieve!!!

  • Author

82. DA YA THINK I’M SEXY- Rod Stewart (551,900)*

 

imageedit_1_9429656678.jpg

1978

13 weeks on chart

Peak position: 1

 

A song that was on the face of it enormously successful yet killed Stewart’s career for a while.  Rod slipped into the disco slipstream to score his 5th chart topper of the 70s topping charts on both sides of the Atlantic but it was at the tail end of the disco scene and to some extent got caught up in the disco backlash of 1980.  On top of that the image of leery aging rocker in tight leopard skin trousers stuck a little too well (see Kenny Everett’s spoof as proof) and aged quickly, he also got in trouble after he was accused of plagiarism and lifting the hook from Ben Jor’s “Taj Mahal” plus the famous synth riff from Bobby Womack’s “Put Something On It” for which the claims were settled when he donated profits from the song to UNICEF in early 1979.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.