September 8Sep 8 Under the moon of love 🔥My ding a ling still makes giggle🤣🤣Im the summertime always a bopI will survive is iconic was always on in our house as a kid Hit me with your rhythm stick a bopDont ho breaking my heart is sublimeDont cry for me Argentina 😍😍
September 8Sep 8 Wow the 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' to 'Are 'Friends' Electric?' back-to-back is indeed transitioning from some of the very worst music of the decade to the best Sorry Jimmy but those vocals are nails on a chalkboard. The also mentioned 'Crazy Horses' is the best Osmonds related release by far!'Are 'Friends' Electric?' is right up my street with that dark, futuristic synth-pop sound. I like what Richard X / the Sugababes did with it too. 'I Will Survive' is of course a classic as well, with an instantly recognisable dramatic intro. 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' is my favourite of the three to drop out today. Very quirky indeed and it also has a great bassline.
September 8Sep 8 3 hours ago, Jade said:'I Will Survive' is of course a classic as well, with an instantly recognisable dramatic intro.And Erasure took the riff in their 1991 track 'Love To Hate You' to good effect.
September 8Sep 8 On 07/09/2026 at 10:44, Gezza said:Quite right. Altered. ThanksNo problem.Actually the Jimmy Osmond single was the first I bought. MGM label. I was only 12! Edited September 8Sep 8 by CRAZY CHRIS
September 8Sep 8 The last three songs I like but in very different ways. I agree with Jade, Rhythm Stick is my favourite. It’s a really unique number one, obviously lyrically with Dury’s stream of consciousness, but also musically. The Blockheads were always fantastic musicians in their own right. Shout out for the next single Reasons To Be Cheerful Part 3, which was equally amazing! Did Rhythm Stick sell a million eventually?Don’t Go Breaking My Heart is a lovely male/female duet, which I’m definitely a sucker for! Great disco classic.And Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is gorgeous, so glad that Julie Covington’s version was the one released, she puts just enough emotion into it!
September 9Sep 9 Author 29. I DON’T LIKE MONDAYS- Boomtown Rats (747,300) 197912 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 Surely one of the most famous songs ever to be written about a high school shooting, this was the second and biggest of their singles. Written whilst the band were on a US tour it was only intended as a B-side but it got such a positive reaction on the tour that it was decided to make it the main event. The family of the culprit for the murders (Brenda Spencer) tried to prevent the US release but were unsuccessful but Geldof admitted later to regretting writing the song as it had made Spencer famous (or more famous at least).
September 9Sep 9 Author 28. NIGHT FEVER- Bee Gees (758,400) 197820 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 Most tracks which are written as a theme for a movie have the movie title to work with but when the Bee Gees Manager called the group asking for songs for his movie, provisionally called “Saturday Night”, he got a few songs back but nothing with the movie title in it. The group weren’t keen on the title but had already written a song called “Night Fever” (albeit it wasn’t quite finished)- they played the track to their manager and he was so impressed that he changed the title of the film to “Saturday Night Fever” and the film became one of the most successful of the decade and turned the Bee Gees into megastars. So ubiquitous were they in the US that 5 Gibb compositions spent a total of 18 weeks at No 1 over a 21 week period in 77-78 giving Barry Gibb the record of writing 4 consecutive US #1’s in a row.
September 9Sep 9 Author 27. DON’T GIVE UP ON US- David Soul (759,900)* 197616 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 A transatlantic chart topper for Soul who decided to return to singing which was one of his career options when he was younger. Trading heavily on the success of “Starsky and Hutch” proved just what the UK seemed to want! It was written by Tom Macauley who had already written No 1’s for Edison Lighthouse, The Foundations, Long John Baldrey and the New Seekers.
September 9Sep 9 'I Don't Like Mondays' is my favourite of today's trio! I can see why Geldof regretted penning it, but a fantastic song nevertheless with an interesting structure.I quite like 'Night Fever' as well. I didn't think much of the Saturday Night Fever movie but the soundtrack is packed with classics. What a shame 'Disco Duck' was omitted from it despite featuring in the film... 'Don't Give Up On Us' is not really my thing. Appropriate that 'Silver Lady' was his silver medal of the two appearances here.
September 9Sep 9 Agreeing again! I Don’t Like Mondays is my favourite of these, another very unusual song in structure and lyrics, I’m still amazed it got to number one!I do like Night Fever but it’s nowhere near my favourite of their disco era singles, that would be the start of it all, Jive Talking.I don’t like Don’t Give Up On Us, horribly saccharine rubbish. Was trying to think what would make up the top 26 here, because a few of the EOY big sellers of the 70s have already gone, David Soul included. But then I remembered 1978 and its huge sellers …..
September 10Sep 10 Author 26. BYE BYE BABY- Bay City Rollers (763,500) 197516 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 Undoubtedly one of the biggest teen scream bands of the decade, this cover of the Four Seasons 1965 US#12 track was the pinnacle of their appeal spending a cool 6 weeks at No 1 in 1975 on the way to being the bestselling single of that year. In part that’s because it was rather less well known over here with the only version to be a chart hit by the Symbols in 1967 (#44), but it helped the group achieve international success conquering the US as well. Changes in line up and the pressure of international success took its toll however and it was all over in the UK by 1977 and led to the eventual split before lawsuits were filed in later years over royalties and allegations of sexual abuse perpetrated by the groups then manager.
September 10Sep 10 Author 25. MISSISSIPPI- Pussycat (770,500) 197621 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 Dutch 7 piece fronted by three sisters performing country tinged pop might seem an odd combo but clearly 70s Britain was here for it. The song they did it with was inspired by the Bee Gees “Massachusetts” and was a hit across most of Europe in late 75/ early 76 taking a while to finally take off in the UK but we did relent finally before the year was out. First Dutch act to top the UK charts.
September 10Sep 10 Author 24. WHEN YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN- Dr Hook (779,700) 197916 weeks on chartPeak position: 1 Sneaking to the top spot in the final few months of the decade was this ditty which gave Dr Hook their biggest hit. They had been signed by Clive Davis originally in the early 70s as “Dr Hook & The Medicine Show” only abbreviating their name in 1975. It had the dubious honour of being announced as the new number one due to an error at BMRB which was corrected an hour later- they made it legitimately the following week!
September 10Sep 10 Not a massive fan of any of these three, they’re all just okay.Mississippi with it gentle rolling country like ballading would probably just be my favourite.I like the enthusiasm of Bye Bye Baby though that might be one of my least favourite ‘boyband’ eras.Dr Hook had much better earlier singles, don’t much like the lyrics either! I do remember the mix up at number one, which was a big story at the time. 1979 was probably the first proper year of my chart following obsession! Edited September 10Sep 10 by Jaz13music
September 10Sep 10 A lot of the tracks that sold a lot in the 70s really are quite awful aren’t they? 😕
September 10Sep 10 Yeah I think the kindest thing I can say about this trio is that I quite like the Bee Gees song that inspired 'Mississippi'!
September 10Sep 10 My little brother bought jimmy osmond as he was a Liverpool FC fan. I bought Tubeway Army as it sounded fab n futuristic in a Heroes sort of way. My mum and i also bought gloria gaynor classic. That was the second and final new single mum bought. So a hat trick of family responsibility there! Jimmy's track is forgiveable sung by and aimed at kids and grannies but not one that stands too much repeat play!Ian dury is a goodie but i was more into Sally Oldfield Mirrors at the time. Elton and kiki Are the hot summer of 76 but oh how i would have loved Dusty on it to reboot her career earlier! Argentina is a classic and julie covington did a very explicit play that year at uni in terms of feminist subject matter. Good thing it was dark as i went bright red with embarrassment! Mondays and Night Fever both classics i helped to number one. David Soul i didn't buy but i do like it.Bye Bye Baby is a good song but i considered the Rollers annoying by this stage having been a fan pre Rollermania. Recently played it a lot and its a good pop cover actually 50 years on. Mississippi was a good singalong monster ideal for karaoke on holiday Eurobars for the older crowd. I do like the song. Dr Hook a good song too though OD'd on it a bit over the years. I always thought Sharing The Night Together should have been a hit both times it came out.
Create an account or sign in to comment