Wednesday at 09:121 day I personally don't mind it at all (I said the same things about Ordinary/Lose Control/Beautiful Things before they peaked) but I can 100% understand that people see it as an example of more "white male mediocrity" being rewarded over more unconventional stuff. When it inevitably lingers around far too long that's when I'll start disliking it
Wednesday at 09:231 day Just listened to Babydoll for the first time; this is just Man I Need repackaged, but its a bit more bearable than the other white male pop songs that have been inflicted on us by Big Bertha lately.
Wednesday at 09:441 day 1 hour ago, GreyAsh said:In terms of music opinions - I only really get the perspective of Buzzjack. And there are constantly pages full of hate on here - just read the comments on this page.EDIT: Maybe I’m imagining it 🤷🏻♂️For me the song is a breath of fresh air.I wonder if part of it is that Buzzjack members typically react more favourably to female vocalists than male vocalists - or at least it seems that way.I get the hatred towards ‘Rein Me In’ as it was at the top of the charts for so long - but I find it tiring when there is so much repeated hatred towards one song on here - especially when it is a new track - amongst so many old tracks clogging up the charts.Well for me I prefer a pop girl vocal over a male vocal but I like loads of male pop artists and songs. Benson, Sombr, Alex and Ed (Bad Habits especially!) I just don't like Jamie's voice (At least on Babydoll) I dislike it that much I turn it off when it comes on the radio 😬
Wednesday at 09:471 day I’ve posted before about this so I’ll probably sound like a broken record but “it sounds like just Man I Need” is kinda exactly the problem to me. Olivia Dean delivers her song with a breeziness, an earnestness that feels like a long lost classic.Babydoll feels like it’s been scientifically designed in a lab to sound like Man I Need, with all of the soul and warmth zapped out. Right down to all of the videos I’ve seen for it where his style has suddenly changed to always wearing a suit, a dance that his team have created for it, the celebs they’ve got involved - it’s great promotion and fair play to his label for carrying it out so well and getting a hit from it, but it just feels stripped of any authenticity and sincerity, which is why I can’t enjoy it.I’d be lying to say it’d be the worst #1, I don’t think it’s even a bad song and I can it’s appeal in being catchy but between his voice being edited/mixed in quite an annoying way on this track and recreating a recent songs’ former glory in such a blatant way isn’t something I’m ever going to want to see succeed or seek to listen to myself.
Wednesday at 09:531 day I also just kind of think almost every single #1 single this year has been quite… safe and lacking excitement.I’d say, even if I like songs by Ariana, Ella, Olivia etc, every song that’s gone to #1 since Rein Me In first took over in February has been quite safe.
Wednesday at 10:111 day I guess its just contuining the trend of mediocre at the top that's like can we ever have something that sounds new and interesting up there
Wednesday at 10:571 day I'm mildly enjoying it for now, but I think by next year that really won't be the case.
Wednesday at 13:181 day 2 hours ago, Jessie Where said:I'm mildly enjoying it for now, but I think by next year that really won't be the case.I see it being 2027's "Ordinary"/"Rein Me In".
Wednesday at 14:011 day 4 hours ago, RobBot said:I also just kind of think almost every single #1 single this year has been quite… safe and lacking excitement.I’d say, even if I like songs by Ariana, Ella, Olivia etc, every song that’s gone to #1 since Rein Me In first took over in February has been quite safe.For me, this would he the biggest issue with it - but I also think that’s the way things are now. Number 1 singles need to appeal to the widest range of people in the streaming era, and therefore the mediocre (or rather MOR) tracks will be the ones that are most successful.
Wednesday at 14:191 day 14 minutes ago, GreyAsh said:For me, this would he the biggest issue with it - but I also think that’s the way things are now. Number 1 singles need to appeal to the widest range of people in the streaming era, and therefore the mediocre (or rather MOR) tracks will be the ones that are most successful.Yeah, in isolation, I don’t even think Babydoll would make me groan - I think it’s a better song than Ordinary for sure. It just feels like it’s the next MOR song in line to dominate after about two years of long running #1s that feel quite MOR. I’d love a Not Like Us or a Guess or something at #1. I do think Stop The Wedding, though it still would get played on Heart FM, would be a big injection of personality and fun into the top spot that doesn’t often feel present.
Wednesday at 14:211 day 4 hours ago, RobBot said:I’ve posted before about this so I’ll probably sound like a broken record but “it sounds like just Man I Need” is kinda exactly the problem to me. Olivia Dean delivers her song with a breeziness, an earnestness that feels like a long lost classic.Babydoll feels like it’s been scientifically designed in a lab to sound like Man I Need, with all of the soul and warmth zapped out. Right down to all of the videos I’ve seen for it where his style has suddenly changed to always wearing a suit, a dance that his team have created for it, the celebs they’ve got involved - it’s great promotion and fair play to his label for carrying it out so well and getting a hit from it, but it just feels stripped of any authenticity and sincerity, which is why I can’t enjoy it.I’d be lying to say it’d be the worst #1, I don’t think it’s even a bad song and I can it’s appeal in being catchy but between his voice being edited/mixed in quite an annoying way on this track and recreating a recent songs’ former glory in such a blatant way isn’t something I’m ever going to want to see succeed or seek to listen to myself.This is 100% how I feel.Particularly your 2nd part. I didn't delve into it much at the time but I really thought this was one of those AI songs that was just starting to take off on Tik Tok (like that 'Puerto Rico' song that has gone viral) and assumed it would be one of those songs that would stay on Tik Tok! So I was surprised that it's seemingly a genuine song created by humans. Lmao. Just crazy how something so souless and cold (to me - nothing against those of you who do enjoy it!) was human made in this day and age. Also as stated before his voice just doesn't do anything for me and I find it really whiny and grating. It's all just *too* Charlie Puth circa 2015 in 2026 for me to get fully on board.But mehhhh. It's just a song that isn't for me and that's fine.
Wednesday at 15:141 day The Drake remix of an underrated Alicia Keys song (Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)) is new at 197!What a BEAUT of a song. Not sure I've heard the Drake remix before though.
Wednesday at 15:181 day 2 minutes ago, Henessy Lake said:Guess there's no stopping the wedding thenApart from its position on other streaming sites. Its not event op 10 on Apple
Wednesday at 15:241 day 59 minutes ago, RobBot said:Yeah, in isolation, I don’t even think Babydoll would make me groan - I think it’s a better song than Ordinary for sure. It just feels like it’s the next MOR song in line to dominate after about two years of long running #1s that feel quite MOR.I’d love a Not Like Us or a Guess or something at #1. I do think Stop The Wedding, though it still would get played on Heart FM, would be a big injection of personality and fun into the top spot that doesn’t often feel present.I know I’m in the minority but one Guess at number 1 was one too many!! Worst number 1 in years 🤢 I may not be Charli’s biggest fan but I wouldn’t have minded if it was Talk Talk or even Von Dutch but the love for Guess is just astonishing to me.Re: Babydoll I can understand it from both sides, it really is a Heart radio anthem by numbers and in my ears could have been something I’d detested but to me it is so catchy and his voice isn’t bad. Heart radio anthems for me can either go one way (Babydoll/Lose Control/Stargazing) or the other (Ordinary/Stick Season) Edited Wednesday at 15:241 day by Doug
Wednesday at 16:201 day At least there was 'Aperture' to give us one week of something slightly more "experimental" at #1 this year (although I don't greatly care for it myself).
Wednesday at 16:371 day 2 hours ago, GreyAsh said:For me, this would he the biggest issue with it - but I also think that’s the way things are now. Number 1 singles need to appeal to the widest range of people in the streaming era, and therefore the mediocre (or rather MOR) tracks will be the ones that are most successful.History is cluttered with mediocre songs being successful nothing has changed
Create an account or sign in to comment