Jump to content

Featured Replies

Oasis are pop as popular

Not pop as in commercial or cheesy pop!!

This contest is more rich and interesting with different genres. I don't get the fuss as the last two comps were the same. Saying that not many members are complaining.

  • Replies 154
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I think it’s clear there will always be two factions - those that love all out pop and will always be more inclined to gravitate towards it with the same going for those that do have more alt-leaning

  • I had an initial run though of the boys earlier on and my initial thoughts when Darin came on can be summed up perfectly below:

  • Do you really think I’m THAT basic? Don’t answer that

Posted Images

01 HRVY - Never Be Us

02 Darin - Om du var min

03 Sam Smith - Lose You

04 Tom Grennan - If Only

05 Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs

06 Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

07 Sam Fender - The Treadmill

08 Damien Rice - Amie

09 Roosevelt - Forget

10 Gary Numan - M.E.

01. Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs [Favourite]

02. Sam Fender - The Treadmill

03. Darin - Om du var min

04. HRVY - Never Be Us

05. Tom Grennan - If Only

06. Sam Smith - Lose You

07. Damien Rice - Amie

08. Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

09. Roosevelt - Forget

10. Gary Numan - M.E.

Y’know what… not a bad batch here. Nothing ground breaking but a very solid bunch of songs and I can definitely see why each of them fit the theme (from what I DO know of each artist)

1 (fave) Sam Smith - Lose You

2 Sam Fender - The Treadmill

3 Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs

4 Tom Grennan - If Only

5 Darin - Om du var min

6 Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

7 Roosevelt - Forget

8 Gary Numan - M.E

9 HRVY - Never Be Us

10 Damien Rice - Amie

  1. Sam Smith – Lose You

  2. Tom Grennan – If Only

  3. Roosevelt – Forget

  4. Sam Fender - The Treadmill

  5. Damien Rice – Amie

  6. Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe – Dollar Signs

  7. Lewis Capaldi – Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

  8. HRVY – Never Be Us

  9. Darin – Om du var min

  10. Gary Numan – M.E.

21 hours ago, Mangø said:

Yeah, I agree with this. The word "pop" may have originally been a shortened version of "popular" but its meaning has evolved over the years. Oasis are certainly popular but I don't think anybody would call them pop! On the other hand, HRVY makes pop music but he's arguably not very popular kink

"Arguably"

01 Calvin Harris

02 Sam Smith

03 Tom Grennan

04 HRVY

05 Darin

06 Sam Fender

07 Damien Rice

08 Roosevelt

09 Lewis Capaldi

10 Gary Numan

01 Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs [favourite]

02 HRVY - Never Be Us

03 Darin - Om du var min

04 Sam Smith - Lose You

05 Roosevelt - Forget

06 Tom Grennan - If Only

07 Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

08 Gary Numan - M.E.

09 Sam Fender - The Treadmill

10 Damien Rice - Amie

01 I hope I won't be putting a cat amongst the pigeons with this, but I have some thoughts on this Calvin Harris entry. Starting off by saying that 'Dollar Signs' is one I already knew before this and I like it a lot - it's a nostalgic sound for me. Therefore I've put it on top. However I personally feel that sending a song that is 100% vocally by an American female singer is perhaps not totally in the spirit of being a part of the European/Solo Male category. I get that it's a loophole/not against the rules - and that it's obviously produced by Calvin Harris with him credited as the lead artist. I personally would prefer to see his mentor sending songs that either Calvin himself sings on, or the songs that feature European male artists. That's purely my opinion though and obviously it is their mentor's choice completely to send the songs they want to in order to progress. I will say that there's a considerable number of his female features songs that I happen to love... and in all likelihood would be inclined to give top points to... but I would reward him for these particular songs with a bit of a raised eyebrow. Food for thought!

02/03 HRVY and Darin both brought the bangers, fabulous discoveries!

04 That's a great song from Sam Smith. I hadn't heard anything from the album this is from beyond the first couple of singles from it.

05/06/07/08 - All of these I found to be enjoyable so it was a little hard to decide on the order. I think that's one of the most immediate/best Lewis Capaldi songs I've heard!

09/10 - I want to stress that both of these are very nice songs, but unfortunately a case of something has to wind up as the bottom 2. 'Amie' possibly edges '9 Crimes' as my favourite song sent by Damien Rice so far, but alas I preferred everything else. 🙁

1 Gary Numan - M.E.

2 Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

3 Sam Fender - The Treadmill

4 Darin - Om du var min

5 Sam Smith - Lose You

6 Damien Rice - Amie

7 Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs

8 Roosevelt - Forget

9 HRVY - Never Be Us

10 Tom Grennan - If Only

I thought before this round opened that 'M.E.' would be sent for Gary Numan, a smart choice with the recognisable sample. Then probably the best of the non-singles on the second Lewis album. That's a promo single at the very least for Sam Fender but pretty good anyway. Didn't know anything else: 4-5 are decent finds, I'd hoped to get more from Damien Rice than I have from the songs so far but this one's nice enough, 7-8 were just OK and 9-10 not for me.

01. Damien Rice - Amie

02. Roosevelt - Forget

03. Sam Fender - The Treadmill

04. Darin - Om du var min

05. Sam Smith - Lose You

06. Tom Grennan - If Only

07. Gary Numan - M.E.

08. Lewis Capaldi - Heavenly Kind of State of Mind

09. HRVY - Never Be Us

10. Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs

"Amie" was a nice surprise and enjoyed the build-up on Roosevelt's track. "The Treadmill" was strong, while I liked the dance-pop vein of the next three tracks, especially Darin's. I mean, Sweden is kwown as the place of the pop bops, lol! 😆 "M.E.", "Heavenly Kind of State of Mind" and "Never Be Us" were also good.

Oh! And as much as I love Calvin Harris, I find "Dollar Signs" a cheap entry. It's not like he doesn't have enough songs to compete in my opinion and I can go on and on about that, but that's another story. Either way, independently of that, "Dollar Signs" is one of those songs that I don't like too much from him either. The comparison of the drop with "Animals" is so spot on that I'm wondering that if he run out of ideas and he basically copied and pasted it, lmao! Also, I'm glad that he never released it as a single, although I wish he and Tinashe collaborate once again.

  1. Sam Fender - The Treadmill

  2. Sam Smith - Lose You

  3. Darin - Om du var min

  4. Gary Numan - M.E.

  5. Lewis Capaldi- Heavenly Kind Of State Of Mind

  6. Tom Grennan - If Only

  7. Damien Rice - Amie

  8. HRVY - Never Be Us

  9. Calvin Harris feat. Tinashe - Dollar Signs

  10. Roosevelt - Forget

The two Sam’s definitely the stand outs for me this week.

Nice discoveries from Darin and Gary, really like both.

Lewis, Tom and Damien all good choices, probably my fave Damien song sent so far but still not quite up there for me

Not really feeling HRVY yet again, Calvin’s worst yet imo and Roosevelt was forgettable

Was driving home from work and realised I’d forgotten to vote in one category

Enjoyed this category and not really any songs I didn’t like

  1. Damien Rice - beautiful song with great lyrics

  2. Sam Smith - love his vocal on this

  3. Tom Grennan - his voice made me feel things! Decent song

  4. HRVY - grew on me with multiple listens

  5. Darin - fave song of his so far

  6. Sam Fender - not totally sure I understand the hype but liked

  7. Gary Numan - did not know Basement Jaxx used this song! Grew on me with listens

  8. Roosevelt - similar to Sam Fender, not sure if I get the hype but liked

  9. Calvin Harris - had to get over the fact that there is no male vocal here, but generally liked

  10. Lewis Capaldi - liked but kept forgetting how it went. Know he’s got better to come though :)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.