October 6, 201313 yr This is essentially Antenna re-sung and polished up a bit, its not terrible though, surprised it did even this well as he just screams one hit wonder.
October 6, 201313 yr 29 (from 35) Rizzle Kicks - Lost Generation [D] http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music4/v4/2f/79/87/2f798726-ddfe-7c06-bbb0-2fbca7789392/13UAAIM43497.170x170-75.jpg Chart Run: 6-9-15-24-35-29 [6 wks] Release date: 25-08-2013 Format: download only single Label: Universal Music Sales: 80k+ Video here: iL51Tsh6Sdg Biography Responsible for bringing the flower-power hip-hop sound of the late '80s back into the charts, Brighton duo Rizzle Kicks are one of the few successful male acts to emerge from the BRIT School that spawned the likes of Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Leona Lewis. Childhood friends Jordan "Rizzle" Stevens and Harley "Sylvester" Alexander-Sule first started making music together in 2008 on the Minor Breaches of Discipline mixtape, which saw the pair rapping over samples of tracks by Lily Allen, Gorillaz, and Arctic Monkeys. Compared to the likes of De La Soul and Dream Warriors, their laid-back production and humorous non-confrontational rhymes earned them a deal with Universal Records, and in 2011 they released their debut single, "Prophet (Better Watch It)," followed by "Down with the Trumpets," which eventually reached number eight in the U.K. charts. Following a guest appearance on X-Factor runner-up Olly Murs' chart-topping single "Heart Skips a Beat," support slots with Professor Green, the Streets, and Dizzee Rascal, and a remix of Ed Sheeran's "You Need Me, I Don't Need You," they were invited by Take That's Gary Barlow to appear in his Children in Need charity supergroup alongside the likes of N-Dubz, Wretch 32, and Ms. Dynamite. Following three MOBO nominations for Best Newcomer and U.K. Hip-Hop/Grime Act and Video, their debut album, Stereo Typical, was released at the end of 2011. ~ Jon O'Brien, Rovi / iTunes Chart history (Year peak title): 2011 08 Down With The Trumpets -1- 2011 01 Heart Skips A Beat (Olly Murs Feat. Rizzle Kicks) 2011 08 When I Was A Youngster -2- 2011 24 Teardrop (The Collective Feat. Labrinth, Tulisa, Chipmunk, Dot Rotten, Ed Sheeran, Ms. Dynamite, Mz Bratt, Rizzle Kicks, Tinchy Stryder & Wretch 32) 2011 02 Mama Do The Hump -3- 2012 44 Traveller's Chant -4- 2013 06 Lost Generation -1- Discussion Thread Here
October 6, 201313 yr Oh well, at least Rizzle Kicks are here to remind us that not all hip-hop is ear sledgehammeringly terrible.
October 6, 201313 yr Another climber from Surprise Surprise I believe - I think the Sats are on the next show so that's good promo for them after how well The Wanted and Rizzle Kicks have done from it.
October 6, 201313 yr I know I really shouldn't, but I do quite like Skip To The Good Bit so I'm looking forward to hearing that in the Top 40 soon.
October 6, 201313 yr Oh well, at least Rizzle Kicks are here to remind us that not all hip-hop is ear sledgehammeringly terrible. :lol:
October 6, 201313 yr Azonto is nowhere near as good as Antenna imo (but the same goes for 99% of songs I hear :lol:). Glad it managed top 40. I know I really shouldn't, but I do quite like Skip To The Good Bit so I'm looking forward to hearing that in the Top 40 soon. I heard this song once. I think it could do well in the charts. Edited October 6, 201313 yr by Eric_Blob
October 6, 201313 yr 28 (from 18) Robin Thicke Feat. T.I. & Pharrell Williams - Blurred Lines [D] http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r2000/015/Music2/v4/49/83/b4/4983b4cc-14a4-8e23-a87b-41055ea234b2/13UMGIM59314.170x170-75.jpg Chart Run: 1-1-1-1-2-2-1-2-3-3-5-7-10-10-15-18-19-18-28 [19 wks] Release date: 26-05-2013 Format: download only single Label: Star Trak, LLC Sales: 1,300K+ Video here: yyDUC1LUXSU Biography One of the more charismatic, flashy, and commercially successful R&B acts of the 2000s and 2010s, Robin Thicke didn't have the toughest row to hoe to achieve stardom, but he was one of the least likely artists to acquire street credibility. He worked for over a decade as a modestly successful songwriter and fledgling solo artist prior to breaking through — assisted by the Neptunes — with 2006's The Evolution of Robin Thicke. On that album, his inspirations, ranging from '70s Marvin Gaye to Philly soul to classic Brazilian music, vividly coalesced with his somewhat brash personality and remarkable vocal skill. It was the first of several Top Ten R&B albums in a career that involved symbiotic collaborations with long-term associate Pro-Jay, Pharrell and Chad Hugo, Mark Ronson, and Polow da Don, as well as credibility-enhancing appearances from (or with) Lil Wayne, Faith Evans, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, and T.I. Show biz is in Thicke's Canadian-American genes. The son of vocalist and actor Gloria Loring and theme song composer and actor Alan Thicke, he grew up in suburban Los Angeles, surrounded by the entertainment industry. A demo he recorded at the age of 14 was heard by Brian McKnight, who helped the youngster — subsequently nicknamed Brian McWhite — get a recording deal with the Interscope label. However, Thicke experienced his earliest success as a songwriter. Before the end of 2000, he either wrote or co-wrote songs for Brandy ("Love Is on My Side"), McKnight ("Anyway"), Color Me Badd ("Sexual Capacity"), Brownstone ("Around You"), Christina Aguilera ("When You Put Your Hands on Me"), and Marc Anthony ("When I Dream at Night"). He was also involved with several songs on Mya's Fear of Flying, as well as the majority of Jordan Knight's self-titled 1999 album, including the Top Ten Billboard Hot 100 hit "Give It to You." Despite all the work as a composer, he was still finding his footing as a solo artist. Advances of his debut album, Cherry Blue Skies, surfaced in 2002, but the album was shelved, adjusted, and given a different title. The revamped version, titled A Beautiful World and featuring Thicke's future wife Paula Patton on the cover, was released in April 2003. It did not leave much of an impression and peaked at only number 152 on the Billboard 200, but the brash lead single "When I Get You Alone" — which sampled Walter Murphy's 1976 disco hit "A Fifth of Beethoven" — reached the Top Ten in Belgium, the Netherlands, and New Zealand. Thicke's follow-up, The Evolution of Robin Thicke, didn't arrive until October 2006, but it benefited from a new alliance with the Neptunes. Signed to the duo's Star Trak label, though still technically an Interscope artist, Thicke scored a number one R&B single with the ballad "Lost Without U," and the album eventually went platinum. Thicke then settled into a lengthy career as a widely respected artist — with occasional diversions into humorous, self-aware showboating — who remained true to his root influences while occasionally departing from '70s-indebted stylistic comfort zone. The focused and refined Something Else, a September 2008 release, peaked at number three on the Billboard 200 and R&B/Hip-Hop Albums charts, highlighted by the disco-soul throwback single "Magic." December 2009's Sex Therapy, led by its Polow da Don-produced title track, narrowly missed the top of the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. Thicke's fifth studio album, Love After War, was his most swashbuckling release to date, issued in December 2011. He made a surprising crossover move in March 2013 with the lighthearted, off-the-cuff "Blurred Lines," a Pharrell production with instrumental cues taken from Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up." Assisted by its explicit video, it topped the Hot 100, a rare feat in 2013 for an R&B single. The album of the same title followed that July. - iTunes Chart history (Year peak title): Robin Thicke 2007 11 Lost Without U -1- 2013 01 Blurred Lines (Robin Thicke Feat. T.I. & Pharrell Williams) -1- MILLION SELLER 2013 34 Give It 2 U (Robin Thicke Feat. Kendrick Lamar & 2 Chainz) -2- T.I. 2005 04 Soldier (Destiny's Child Feat. T.I. & Lil Wayne) 2005 59 Bring 'em Out -1- 2006 22 Why You Wanna -1- 2006 02 My Love (Justin Timberlake Feat. T.I.) 2007 21 Pac's Life (2Pac Feat. Ashanti & T.I.) 2007 18 I'm A Flirt (R Kelly Feat. T.I. & T-Pain) 2008 47 Whatever You Like -1- 2008 33 Swagga Like Us (JayZ & T.I. Feat. Kanye West & Lil Wayne) -2- 2008 02 Live Your Life (T.I. Feat. Rihanna) -3- 2009 04 Dead And Gone (T.I. Feat. Justin Timberlake) -4- 2009 34 Remember Me (T.I. Feat. Mary J Blige) -5- 2010 22 Hello Good Morning (Diddy - Dirty Money Feat. T.I.) 2010 45 Got Your Back (T.I. Feat. Keri Hilson) -1- 2013 01 Blurred Lines (Robin Thicke Feat. T.I. & Pharrell Williams) MILLION SELLER Pharrell Williams 2002 16 Pass The Courvoisier - Part II (Busta Rhymes/P Diddy/Pharrell) 2002 07 Boys (Britney Spears Featuring Pharrell Williams) 2003 23 Beautiful (Snoop Dogg Featuring Pharrell) 2003 06 Frontin' (Pharrell Williams Featuring Jay-Z) 2003 62 Light Your Ass On Fire (Busta Rhymes Featuring Pharrell) 2004 35 Show Me Your Soul (Lenny Kravitz, P Diddy, Loon And Pharrell Williams) 2004 10 Drop It Like It's Hot (Snoop Dogg Featuring Pharrell) 2005 13 Let's Get Blown (Snoop Dogg Featuring Pharrell) 2005 03 Can I Have It Like That (Pharrell Feat. Gwen Stefani) -1- 2006 15 Angel -2- 2006 31 Number One (Pharrell Featuring Kanye West) -3- 2010 07 One (Your Name) (Swedish House Mafia Featuring Pharrell) 2013 01 Get Lucky (Daft Punk Feat. Pharrell Williams) MILLION SELLER 2013 01 Blurred Lines (Robin Thicke Feat. T.I. & Pharrell Williams) MILLION SELLER 2013 50 Lose Yourself To Dance (Daft Punk Feat. Pharrell Williams) Discussion Thread Here
October 6, 201313 yr Blurred Lines feels like it's been in the chart for like a year. :lol: It has - on Mercury.
October 6, 201313 yr Random retro this week comes from 1969 Week Ending : 11/10/1969 1 (3) Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus 2 (2) Bobbie Gentry - I'll Never Fall In Love Again 3 (1) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising 4 (4) Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue 5 (9) Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay 6 (6) Oliver - Good Morning Starshine 7 (5) Bee Gees - Don't Forget To Remember 8 (7) Cliff Richard & Hank Marvin - Throw Done A Line 9 (8) Mama Cass - It's Getting Better 10 (14) Karen Young - Nobody's Child All the top 5 are well known songs, Number 1 was banned from mainstream radio play due to the "suggestive" groaning contained within, 2 was the big hit version of the popular Bacharach & David song from the musical "Promises, Promises" (and most recently in the top 5 for Deacon Blue as part of their Bachrach/David EP, god was that really 13 years ago?), No, it was 23 years ago. Sorry you're even older than you thought! :teresa: > and 3 ,4 & 5 are still staples of "oldies" radio all these years later. Least said about 6-10 the better though! Nothing wrong with 'It's Getting Better'. It certainly wasn't as hideous as 'Lay Lady Lay'.
October 6, 201313 yr The verses of 'Give It 2 You' sound a bit like 'Work' by Ciara. Except that was better.
October 6, 201313 yr First two Arctic Monkey songs in a row, now two Robin Thicke tracks back to back. :lol:
October 6, 201313 yr Ha, Robin Thicke's new(ish) song is hilarious!!! It's so bad I kinda like it. An improvement on Blurred Lines anyway (but even Azonto would tick that box).
Create an account or sign in to comment